Friday, May 11, 2007

Reviews of Wines of Oregon

The following is a compilation of old reviews I have done on the wines of Oregon.

2002 Montinore Estate Pinot Noir, Pierce's Elbow, Willamette Valley: This is a single vineyard wine of limited availability with only 300 cases having been made. This is another very good pinot, also in the Burgundian style. It is a light wine, nicely balanced and with a long finish. I do like the Paraiso more than this wine, but I think both are excellent wines, especially for the price, also $20. A couple others who had both wines with me preferred the Montinore, once again showing that wine is largely a matter of personal preference. If you want to buy the Montinore, you can get it at the Wine Shop in Reading, though I doubt it will be there for long with its limited availability.

2004 Big Fire, Pinot Noir: This was disappointing. It seemed to be an anemic pinot, far too light and innocuous. I expect much better pinot from Oregon. This is a definite no drink, no buy.

2004 Cooper Hill, Pinot Noir, Cooper Mt. Vineyard, Willamette Valley: This pinot was somewhat between the French and California ones, balancing the subtly and bold upfront fruit. At $15, it is more reasonably priced and should appeal to more people. I liked it and would be a Drink & Buy.

2005 Anne Amie Riesling, Williamette Valley: This is a low production wine ($17) with a slight sweetness to it though I felt the finish was a bit bitter. Again, it was an ok wine but nothing special.

No comments: