Wednesday, June 6, 2007

It Rains Sushi!

Mystery solved!

Ok, nothing earth shattering. But I did resolve the issue of the price of sushi at It Rains Fishes. In my prior review of this restaurant, I questioned what seemed to be discrepancies in the price of their sushi. Well it seems I just misread the price of the sashimi for the sushi. Sashimi is usually more expensive than sushi. The actual sushi prices are actually average, such as maguro for $4.95 and tamago for $3.50.

I ventured back to It Rains Fishes for lunch. They have a special lunch menu with thirteen different choices. Most of the dishes cost $8.95 but a few are $11.95. There are combos, which are essentially bento boxes, and there are sushi lunches too. You can also order off their regular menu.

I ordered some sushi, including maguro (tuna), unagi (eel), tamago (omelet) and ebi (shrimp) tempura maki. The sushi came out on a long, oval plate with the sushi artfully presented. I was very pleased with the large size of the toppings. The tuna was bright red and obviously fresh. It tasted very good and was tender and smooth. The BBQ eel was also very good. Each of the tamagos was a large rectangle of sweet omelet. And the tempura maki were also quite delicious, with a nice crunch of them. I would have to say that this was some of the better sushi I have had in the area. The pieces were larger than many other local restaurants. If you want some good sushi, definitely check it out!

For lunch entrees, I ordered the Bull Go Gee Combo and my mother ordered the Salmon Teriyaki Combo. Each combo box included miso soup, white rice, salad, shrimp shumai, California maki and the entree. The miso soup was very good. The rest of the food was fresh and tasty. My entree was broiled tenderloin with a Korean marinade, onions and mushrooms. The tenderloin was very tender and the sauce was flavorful. My mother's salmon was also very tender and flavorful. For the price, you get a good serving of food so this is definitely a value lunch.

Once again, I recommend this restaurant and even more so after resolving the actual price of the sushi and trying their excellent sushi.

I still wish though they had a better selection of chilled sake.

No comments: