Saturday, July 21, 2007

2002 Saintsbury Reserve Pinot Noir


When I dined at Porchai, I brought a bottle of 2002 Saintsbury Reserve Pinot Noir ($40). I knew I would be eating duck and prefer a Pinot Noir. I have long been a fan of Saintsbury Pinots. The 2002 Reserve is the last vintage to bear the "Reserve" label. Saintsbury will now create a Vineyard series of specific vineyard bottlings, hoping to capitalize on different terroirs in the Carneros region.

I found this wine to be superb. This was a darker Pinot Noir than many and reminiscent of a more Burgundian style. There were great fruit flavors of raspberry & cherry. But there were also nice spicy components. The wine is complex and well balanced, with a lingering finish. It is a silky smooth wine that is pure decadent pleasure. It was a great match to the duck. Though this is a wine you could easily drink alone, savoring its intricacies.

A highly recommended Drink & Buy.

No comments: