Tuesday, September 4, 2007

2006 Vina Abad Godello


I love finding interesting, indigenous varietals. One such varietal is Godello. In the Valdeoarras region of Spain, Godello seems to be making a comeback. It is actually a very old varietal, extending back to the ancient Romans. Valdeoarras is part of Galicia, in northwest Spain, like Rias Baixas. But, Valdeorras is about 100 miles inland and its terrain is mountainous.

Godello makes fruity white wines though with definite minerality and acidity. A good Godello can improve for about five years from its vintage date. Godello is usually paired with shellfish. Godello also grows in Portugal where it is called Gouveio.

The 2006 Vina Abad Godello ($14) is made by Bodegas Cooperativa Jesus Nazareno, S.C.G. It is 100% Godello and has 12.5% alcohol content. It is a golden yellow in color with a bit of a citrus nose. It has a full mouthfeel, with clear apricot and apple flavors on the palate. There is a mild minerality and crisp acidity. This is a very pleasing wine and I enjoyed it very much.

I drank this wine with some Rappie Pie, which has chicken, pork and potatoes. This is different from pairing it with seafood but I do think it went well. Rappie Pie is a mellower dish, not really spicy. I think Godello would pair well with many chicken dishes as well.

A Drink & Buy. A good value at this price, especially if you want to try something new and different.

2 comments:

Gabriella Opaz said...

Richard, I have no how I missed this post! This wine sounds interesting and worth keeping an eye out for. Out of curiosity, whatever got into your head to think Rappie Pie and Godello. I trust it was a fabulous pairing, but I've never heard of Rappie Pie in my life. What's the story on it?

Richard Auffrey said...

There is a link in the post to a larger post on Rappie Pie (with photos). It is a unique food from Nova Scotia, where my in-laws are from. We had a big party with it recently, and I still had a piece left over. So, heated it up and had it with the Godello. I think it paired well together.