Sunday, January 13, 2008

Fried Macaroni & Cheese

While out with my young nephew today, we stopped for lunch at T.G.I. Friday's. He wanted me to try their Fried Macaroni & Cheese.

T.G.I. Friday's is a chain restaurant, typical of similar type chains like Bennigans and Chili's. I rarely go there and had not been there in at least a couple years, if not longer. It is surely no culinary treasure but does have a few decent dishes.

We just ordered some appetizers, including the Fried Macaroni & Cheese. This consisted of fried squares of elbow macaroni and cheese. Surely an artery clogger but also tasty. I think it would have benefited from a bit of marinara sauce for dipping but otherwise was good. The exterior was nicely crunchy and the inside was gooey with lots of cheese. An intriguing comfort food.

I was very impressed though with their Sesame Jack Chicken Strips. Small, meaty pieces of chicken with a light fried coating of panko breadcrumbs and sesame seeds. Plus, it was drizzled with a sweet Jack Daniel's sauce. The chicken sat atop crunchy noodles and some lettuce. The chicken was perfect, a nice melange of complimentary flavors. I could have eaten an entire plate of just this chicken. The Jack Daniel's sauce was very good, with a nice sweetness that did not overpower the chicken and panko.

For dessert, we tried the Cinnadunkers, a bag of small, warm cinnamon-sugar donuts with a cream cheese dipping sauce. Another artery clogger but quite delicious as well, especially when warm.

So I did find a few good items at T.G.I. Friday's. And I would even return just for drinks and some of that Sesame Jack Chicken Strips.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/e/restaurant_link/827398

No comments: