Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Melissa's Main Street Bistro

This week I stopped by Melissa's Main Street Bistro for dinner. It was a quiet weeknight at the restaurant and the owner, Melissa, was serving the tables.

Beside their basic menu, they had several specials for the evening, including both appetizers and entrees. Prior to any of my food arriving, I received a basket of hot bread and long, thin breadsticks. As I have said before, I love bread and receiving some hot bread before a meal definitely earns kudos from me.

I began my dinner with one of the Special appetizers that evening, Foie Gras with a Pomegranate sauce and Vanilla-flavored Apricot ($14). The Foie Gras was silky smooth and quite delicious. And it did go well with the two different fruit flavors. The Apricot was a small pile of pieces of fruit with a mild vanilla flavor. Though apricots can sometimes taste a bit too tart, the vanilla added a good sweetness that balanced the taste.

For my entree, I chose one of the Grill Entrees, the Duck Breast Stuffed with Bleu Cheese ($23). For any Grill Entree, you get three choices: Starch, Vegetable and Sauce. I got the Macaroni & Bleu Cheese (though I already had Bleu Cheese in my entree I just wanted to try the Macaroni). I also got the Caramelized Onions and the Red Wine Demi Glace. I receive two small, boneless Duck breasts stuffed with the Bleu cheese. The breasts were quite meaty, grilled good and very flavorful. The cheese complemented the duck and was not overwhelming. I loved the Macaroni & Bleu cheese, spiral pasta with plenty of savory melted cheese. Great comfort food. I even ate some of the onions, though I am generally not a fan of them. But these onions had a sweet tinge to them which I liked. A very good entree that I would order again.

I did try some dessert as well, a S'Mores Sundae. It seemed to be vanilla ice cream that was coated with crumbled graham crackers, with hot fudge, whipped cream, marshmallow sauce and tiny marshmallows. A decadent dessert that is sure to please. It might bring you back to when you were a child and ate S'mores. I would definitely recommend this dessert.

Service was excellent. Overall, this was a very good dinner. Prices are reasonable, quantities were good, and the food was very flavorful.

Melissa's Main Street Bistro
407 Main St.
Stoneham, MA
Phone: 781-438-243

Melissa's Main Street Bistro on Urbanspoon

No comments: