Friday, June 20, 2008

The Cupcake Boutique: A Return Visit

I recently gave a rave review to The Cupcake Boutique in Andover. Yesterday, as I was going to attend a wine tasting in Andover, I decided to stop once again at The Cupcake Boutique. Would the cupcakes still be as good? And what other pastries or baked goods would they have available that I could sample?

Above, you can see their intriguing cupcake display. As it was later in the day, a couple hours before closing, they had limited quantities of some of the cupcakes though still a decent selection. There were a few new cupcake flavors including Pink Lemonade and Vanilla with Caramel. At the very top of the display, though it is hard to see the details, they have some brownies and chocolate chip cookies.

I bought some cucpakes, mostly flavors that I had not tried before, including Triple Chocolate, Mocha, Vanilla with Caramel, and Pink Lemonade. I also got another Coconut Snowball, my favorite. When I got the cupcakes home, they had sit for a bit so the frosting was soft and creamy rather than the firmer consistency they have when they have been in the refrigerator. I appreciated the frosting even more in the softer condition. The cupcakes were all moist and flavorful. I did not have any problems with dry cupcakes. And the different flavors were all very good. Though none can still compete with the Coconut Snowball. So The Cupcake Boutique has shown consistency in their product.

I also tried a Brownie ($2) and a Chocolate Chip Cookie ($1.50). The brownies are thin but wide so you receive a good-sized brownie. Brownies are usually either fudgy or cakey and this brownie was the fudgy type. In fact, it is very moist and chocolatey. If you love chocolate, then you are going to very much enjoy this brownie. It is very good alone, though probably even better topped by ice cream. The Chocolate Chip Cookie definitely did not resemble the usual such cookie. Rather than a plain brown cookie, there are swirls of chocolate throughout this cookie, giving it more of a speckled look. They did more than just add some chocolate chips to this cookie. The cookie was soft, moist and quite chocolatey. An interesting variation of the usual such cookie.

The brownie and cookie showed me that they don't just do cupcakes well. All of the desserts I have tried so far have shown moistness, usually indicative of freshness and quality. They have all tasted delicious and certainly would appease any chocolate craving.

I continue to highly recommend that you check out The Cupcake Boutique.

The Cupcake Boutique
10 Post Office Avenue
Andover, MA
Phone: 978-475-4429

No comments: