Saturday, December 27, 2008

2008: Top Ten Wines Over $15

Welcome to my second Top Ten Wine List. Yesterday, I posted my Top Ten Wines Under $15 and now it is time for my Top Ten Wines Over $15. Like the prior list, it includes wines that during the past year I have both enjoyed very much and which I found to be particularly compelling for various reasons. They might be more unique wines or just excellent values for the price. They stand out for some particular reason above the other wines I tasted this past year. Each wine on this list is linked to my more detailed prior review.

The wines are not listed in any particular order and all are definitely worth your consideration. Though I have tasted some exceptional wines during the past year that cost over $50, I did not want to include them on this list. I wanted this list to be more user friendly, to provide some less expensive options that would appeal to a greater audience. Please note that the actual price of the wine may vary in your area.

1. 2006 Terlato Family Vineyards Pinot Grigio, California ($20)
2. 2006 Eclipse Merlot, California ($20)
3. 2006 Twisted Oak River of Skulls, California ($35)
4. 2005 Denuño Petit Verdot, Spain ($17)
5. 1997 R. Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Rosado Crianza, Spain ($25)
6. 2007 Txacoli Gurrutxaga Rosado, Spain ($20)
7. 2005 Isole e Olena Chianti Classico, Italy ($22)
8. 2005 Castel Noarna Nosiola, Italy ($18)
9. 2007 G.D. Vajra Moscato D'Asti, Italy ($20)
10. 2006 Quinta do Coa Reserva, Portugal ($25)

California, Spain and Italy dominate this list. And that echoes the basic make-up of my wine cellar, that I possess more wines from those three countries than anywhere else. I certainly drink wine from many other countries, but I drink the most amount of wine from those three regions. So, it is easy to understood the make-up of my list. There is a greater chance of finding exceptional wines when you drink a bunch more wines from one region.

You can also see the variety in the list, from whites to reds, from roses to dessert wine. There is also a wide variety of grape types. It is also compelling that all three of the Italian wines I selected are from a single importer, Adonna Imports, which is certainly one of my favorite Italian wine importers.

I have plenty of other recommendations for wines on my blog. There are excellent wines from countries all over the world, made from an incredibly diverse selection of grapes. Seek out wines outside of your comfort zone. Seek out the unusual. Explore the multitude of diversity in the wonderful world of wine. I am sure your search will lead to new favorites.

1 comment:

wine clubs uk said...

these wines be purchased in the uk, we are creating a wine buyers guide for the uk, love the blog btw