Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Scent of Saké: A Tale of a Saké Heroine

Would you like to read a historical novel, about nineteenth century Japan, that centers on a woman trying to run a Saké brewery in a male-dominated society? If so, then maybe The Scent of Saké by Joyce Lebra (Harper Collins, $13.99) may appeal to you. I have not read the book but it does sound intriguing.

The novel is about nineteen-year-old Rie, the sole heir to the House of Omura, a venerable family of Kobe Saké brewers. Though she is expected to turn over the brewery to others, she attempts to maintain control over it, despite Saké brewing being considered an exclusively male domain. The book is supposed to contain much fascinating and accurate information about Saké brewing.

I'll probably pick up a copy soon to check it out, the Saké angle being the most intriguing aspect of the book for me. If I do read it, I will be sure to report back.

No comments: